Does Your Partner Need a Break? Give Them a Surprise Getaway
Has your sweetie been working overtime and in need of a break? Have they been stressed out lately? Are they experiencing major burn-out? Do you “owe them” big-time for something not so nice that you’ve done? Or do you just want to give them an unexpected break in the action? A surprise getaway can be just the ticket for all of the above – or pick any excuse, for that matter.
Rewards of the Trip
There are obvious rewards of a surprise trip: participating in fun and relaxing activities, having a change in scenery, and enjoying the traveling experience itself – whether it be a road trip, air travel, or travel by sea. There are some less obvious rewards too. Here are some of the “hidden” perks for a much-needed pick-me-up for them and a great escape for both of you:
· A break from routine. It’s a way to escape from the everyday grind, the buildup of monotony, pause thinking about problems and stressors. These are battery rechargers for the body and soul with physical and mental health benefits. Being refreshed can make you better equipped to handle the unexpected or everyday life.
· Self-discovery. It can encourage your mate to reconnect with himself/herself. Pausing from daily life lets them focus on what they want and cater to their own needs. It can be a journey of self-discovery, giving them the time to learn something new about themself, have an insight or an epiphany, connect with their inner spirit, their higher self. Often, just the act of getting away can give them a new perspective that helps them solve a difficult problem.
· Feelings of togetherness. It lets you both reconnect with one another. Spending time enjoying one another in a carefree environment, away from home, can keep a relationship strong or revive it. And think of the fond memories and their feeling grateful that you pulled off something with so much love, thought, and skill behind it.
Planning the Great Surprise Escape
Going on a trip together is going to be just as much fun for you as it is for them. Plus, you get the added enjoyment of planning it in secret and springing the surprise on them! So, where to start? Here are a few pointers to make it a memorable and stress-free getaway for him or her.
· Find the right time. Figure out what days or weeks work best for your mate. Find a time that least interferes with their work schedule and planned appointments, and activities. Ask your mate what’s on their schedule coming up. You may have to do some snooping around in their calendar and have to clear dates with their employer, staff, and anyone with whom your mate has scheduled appointments; reschedule as needed. Finally, ask those with whom you talk to keep quiet and not spoil the surprise.
· Go easy on the finances. Try to plan a trip that doesn’t “break the bank.” Getting deep into a financial hole can derail your good intentions and create the stress this getaway was supposed to eliminate. And speaking of finances, make sure any bills that come due during the trip are taken care of in advance. This could get a little tricky but you can probably cover it by making sure s/he can take care of upcoming expenses with online bill pay.
· Select and book the location and activities. This is about them, so choose a destination (or destinations) and a route they would choose themself. Make reservations for travel, lodging, food, transportation, and excursions where advance notice or booking is necessary or recommended. Make sure all confirmations are sent only to you … your email address, phone, and calendar. Make trip purchases with a credit card they don’t normally see or consider using a gift card.
· Packing for you and him/her. When your partner is out of the house, grab suitcases for you and them and start packing. Remember to include those little things they like to have on hand during trips. Besides appropriate clothing, include their favorite accessories, toiletries, gadgets, electronics (laptop, tablet, power cords). Don’t forget other necessities including his medications. Then hide the suitcases and travel bags in a place in the house where they wouldn’t look or in the trunk of your car.
· Expecting any deliveries? Is your mate expecting important mail or deliveries while you’re gone? Ask a neighbor or friend to pick up your mail and any packages while you’re gone.
· Breaking the news. Know your sweetie’s threshold for surprises. You don’t want them to freak out by telling them at the last minute. Decide how many days or weeks in advance would give them a comfort level and still retain the element of surprise. Or, you could partially disclose by telling them you have a surprise planned and when, leaving out all the other details.